The scorching sun and rising temperature can cause dehydration, heat colds, headaches, heat stroke, stomach infections and many other unpleasant conditions, here’s a list of must-have foods in summer to prevent our bodies from summer ailments.
1. Green leafy vegetables - Carotenoids present in green leafy vegetables converts to vitamin A that helps protect skin from sun damage, decrease sensitivity to UV light and mend flaky and dry skin in summers.
2. Watermelon – comprises of significant levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of lycopene and amino acids. Watermelon contains 92% water, exactly what your body needs in summer to keep itself cool.
3. Cucumber – contains vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, fiber and a range of minerals including magnesium, molybdenum, potassium and high amount of water to beat the heat.
4. Curd – packed with Vitamin A, vitamin B-12, calcium, magnesium, potassium and Protein, curd is a great probiotic that helps the gut and soothes inflamed digestive systems again a must have to fight stomach complaints in summer.
5. Coconut water – rich in potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium coconut water helps you beat the hot weather and provides replenishment of lost electrolytes in the body.
6. Mint – synonymous with freshness, mint comprises of the highest oxidants compared to other herbs. Mint helps keeps your body temperature cool, aids proper digestion and, offers relief from nausea, fatigue, and headache caused due to heat.
7. Onions - red onions comprise of quercetin, which is considered as a natural anti-allergen that can help to protect against the sun-stroke.
8. Lemons - rich in vitamin C lemons are also a rich source of potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc. Lemon juice boosts the immune system, has antibacterial properties, detoxifies the body and helps to maintain digestive health.
9. Corn - Excellent source of antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin, corn is also a rich source of many vitamins and minerals that prevent digestive ailments like constipation, maintains blood sugar levels and improves eye health.
10. Tomatoes - filled with antioxidants such as lycopene, tomatoes also contain vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. Tomatoes help digestion, prevent constipation and kidney stones, improve hair, skin and bone health.