The National Testing Agency (NTA) has initiated a review of its examination systems and removed more than 50 staff members following errors in three UGC-NET papers, while bringing in professionals for key leadership and technical roles.
The move comes amid criticism from opposition parties and student organisations after the NTA announced a re-test for the English, Commerce and Sociology papers of UGC-NET June 2026.
NTA sources said the agency was reviewing its internal processes and protocols to ensure examinations are conducted fairly and without errors. The agency had formed a committee after receiving complaints about multiple errors in the three papers. The committee recommended that the papers be re-conducted.
Education Minister Pralhad Joshi held a meeting with the Department of Higher Education secretary, NTA director general and other senior officials to review the measures being taken. The ministry said the meeting focused on reforming the examination system and strengthening exam protocols.
The ministry initially said that more than 50 NTA staff had been removed. An official later clarified that this figure included 47 officials terminated in July in connection with the NEET-UG paper leak controversy.
The NTA has also advertised 10 professional leadership positions, including chief technology officer, chief finance officer, chief information security officer, general manager (test security) and general manager (research and development and psychometrics).
Domain specialists from the private sector are also being brought in for cybersecurity, psychometrics, question paper design and other specialised functions.
The ministry said Joshi directed the NTA to ensure compliance with examination protocols and undertake a complete overhaul of its confidential operations architecture, including secluded rooms, air-gapped systems and device deposit procedures. The agency has also been asked to conduct an audit of all examination processes and submit a report on corrective measures.
Meanwhile, opposition parties and student organisations continued to demand accountability from the NTA.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi said the agency’s leadership must be held accountable. The National Students’ Union of India (NSUI), Students’ Federation of India (SFI), All India Students’ Association (AISA) and Krantikari Yuva Sangathan (KYS) held protests in Delhi and announced nationwide demonstrations.
The Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) also called for accountability, with its national general secretary Virendra Singh Solanki saying students’ future could not be compromised.
The Aam Aadmi Party said the issue had affected students’ time, money, mental peace and opportunities.
The UGC-NET re-test for English and Commerce will be held on September 9, while the Sociology paper will be conducted on September 10.
The NTA conducted the UGC-NET June 2026 examination from June 22 to 30 across 87 subjects for junior research fellowship, assistant professor eligibility and admission to PhD programmes.
The NTA said the committee that examined the complaints found anomalies in the three papers and recommended their re-conduct to ensure a fair and error-free examination.
Inputs from PTI
Also Read: CJI Surya Kant says he never accepted NALSAR convocation invitation







Add comment