The Union Ministry of Education, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) have defended the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020’s three-language framework in the Supreme Court, stating that it promotes multilingualism and national integration.
In separate affidavits, the three bodies have sought dismissal of petitions challenging the three-language policy adopted in CBSE-affiliated schools.
The developments came as a Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant sought responses from the Centre, CBSE and NCERT on two fresh petitions challenging the board’s policy requiring Class IX students to study three languages, including two Indian languages.
In its affidavit, the Ministry of Education said the National Curriculum Framework for School Education (NCFSE) 2023, prepared in line with NEP 2020, recommends that students study three languages from Classes VI to X, with at least two being Indian languages.
The ministry said the policy is intended to strengthen multilingual learning while supporting the broader objectives of NEP 2020.
CBSE told the court that the policy has been introduced through a phased implementation process and does not require students to discontinue foreign languages.
The board said concerns raised by petitioners had been addressed through guidelines issued on June 29 and a circular dated July 10, which provide transitional relaxations and safeguards.
Under the revised implementation plan, students currently in Class X (2026–27) will continue under the existing two-language system and will not be required to study a third language.
For students appearing for the Class X board examination in 2027–28, the third language will be assessed through internal school-based evaluation, with no separate board examination paper.
CBSE also said students who had already opted for two non-Indian languages, such as English and French, have been granted a one-time relaxation to continue both languages while adding one Indian language as the third language.
The board rejected claims that foreign languages had been removed from the curriculum, stating that they can continue either as one of the three languages, provided the other two are Indian languages, or as an additional fourth language.
Addressing concerns over implementation, CBSE said NCERT has begun providing learning resources and schools have been permitted to adopt flexible staffing arrangements, including using existing teachers, retired teachers, inter-school resource sharing and virtual teaching where required.
The board also said students whose families relocate to another state will be allowed flexibility in continuing their existing language combination.
NCERT informed the court that it has completed the academic and administrative process for developing Class IX learning resources for the third language in all 22 Scheduled Languages. It said learning material has already been published for Hindi, Sanskrit, Marathi and Urdu and uploaded on its website.
Inputs from PTI
Also Read: NTA releases NEET-UG OMR sheets, opens response challenge window till July 15







Add comment