Chief Justice of India Surya Kant on Friday said media reports claiming that he had refused an urgent hearing on a plea against the July 20 police action during the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP)-led protest were incorrect, clarifying that no petition had been filed before the Supreme Court.
While hearing urgent mentioning of cases, the CJI said only a representation had been received and not a writ petition.
“Till morning 10 am, not a single page has been filed. It was one representation… How can I treat the representation as a writ petition?” he said.
The clarification follows Wednesday’s proceedings, when a lawyer sought an urgent hearing on the alleged police action against students during the July 20 protest. The counsel referred to video footage and alleged that students had been subjected to police violence.
The CJI declined the request, stating that the court was not inclined to examine video evidence at the mentioning stage.
The July 20 protest march witnessed clashes between protesters and security personnel, who used lathis and tear gas after crowds attempted to march towards Parliament. The protesters were demanding the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over the alleged NEET examination paper leak.
Inputs from PTI
Also Read: PM says youth welfare is government’s priority, announces fast-track courts for paper leak cases







Add comment